How Smart Meters Work
Smart meters provide many benefits, and the installation is a simple and seamless process to our valued customers.
- Smart Meter Installation – Long Beach Water customers will have their new smart meter installed to work properly and accurately.
- Communications Network – The smart meter delivers water usage and other important information for billing via an encrypted and secure radio frequency directly to the utility’s office. Your utility and customer information will continue to be safe and confidential.
- Long Beach Water – Meter data is automatically sent from the smart water meter to the utility. The utility also receives important alerts, which allows for a faster response to service disruptions and customer concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can I expect my smart water meter upgrade?
Meters are scheduled to be installed starting February 2019 through spring 2020. Customers will be notified in advance when installers will be in your area. The meter installers will leave a door hanger notifying you that your meter was successfully upgraded.
2. How can meter installers be identified?
Corix, the contractor who currently manually reads your meter each month, will be assisting Long Beach Water in the installation of the smart meters. Each installer will be identifiable by their uniform and signage on their vehicle. The installer will not and is not permitted to enter your home. Should you have any questions or concerns about Long Beach Water’s contracted installers please call us at 562.570.2436.
3. Will my water be shutoff during the meter upgrade process?
Customers may experience a brief, 30-minute interruption of service during the upgrade.
4. Are smart meters safe?
Yes. Long Beach Water’s smart meters exceed all health and safety standards set by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The energy emitted by these smart meters is much less than other common house-hold devices such as microwaves, televisions, cell phones, garage openers and Wi-Fi routers.
5. I thought I already had a smart meter installed by my utility?
Long Beach customers received smart meter installations for their gas service by Long Beach Energy Resources and electricity service by SoCal Edison. This smart meter installation will be for your water service on your water meter.
Contact Long Beach Water at 562.570.2436.