I have a sewer backup. What should I do?
- Your first step is to get an initial inspection, clearing, and draining of the sewer lateral performed, ideally by a professional. For ease of inspection, clearing and draining of sewer laterals, we strongly recommend that property owners ensure that a proper cleanout is installed:
- 4” in diameter (Long Beach Water Department (LBWD) Policy Section 1406 Sewer Lateral Responsibility, Appendix 3)
- Off Structure, ground level (not located in/on wall of structure)
- On the downstream side of structure (no longer runs under any buildings)
- Get the lateral to drain by means of snake or hydrojet (by homeowner or private plumber) (LBWD Policy Section 1406 Sewer Lateral Responsibility, Appendix 2)
- If the video shows an issue on City property, please submit that video to LBWD, Attention SEWER SUPERINTENDENT, 1800 E Wardlow Rd, Long Beach, CA 90807 or call (562) 570-2300 for more information.
If the property owner believes that there is problem on the city property’s line preventing wastewater from draining to the sewer main, Long Beach Water will investigate after the property owner performs the initial inspection, clearing, and draining of the sewer lateral.